Monday 11 June 2012

Hincredible Hinglish

...nothing to do with our paper but I thought this was of interest!

I was sent a link about this project undertaken by Incredible India which is the Indian government tourist office.

They commissioned a typeface which is specifically designed so that you can tell the phoenetic sound of a Hindi character by looking at the corresponding Roman character superimposed on it. Hindi is written in the Devanagri script which has many more characters that the English alphabet, therefore this font cannot tell you how to read words as they are spelt in Hindi but it's aim is to demystify individual letters in its script and make India more approachable.

Interesting stuff ( ...I thought):


Personally I think this is lots of fun and a great experiment in typography.
Have a look for yourself:
http://www.thehinglishproject.com
Posted by Justin Hobson 11.06.2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! If I like it, I'll add it on. Cheers J