Thursday 23 December 2010

Celia Stothard 1949-2010

Today I received the sad news that Celia Stothard died on 8th December (because of the snow, I only received post today sent on the 13th December which is why this announcement is quite so late).

My sincerest condolences go to her husband and partner Alan Kitching.

It was barely a year ago that I was invited to a private view in London, celebrating the work of Alan Kitching and Celia Stothard at The Typography Workshop. Derek Birdsall paid tribute to Alan and Celia's fifteen year partnership. In his response, Alan touchingly referred to his having been rescued by Celia from his former 'vagabond' life camping out at the Chelsea Arts Club!

The cover of the 2010 Fenner Paper diary was designed and produced by Alan at The Typography Workshop and Alan and Celia were genial hosts when I popped in with mock ups and proofs and most forgiving when the printing and binding of their copies ran later and later...!

She will be sadly missed by all that knew her.

Below is a picture of Celia and Alan working together at the Typography Workshop.
Photo taken by Phil Sayer for Eye Magazine.
Posted by Justin Hobson 23.12.2010 

1 comment:

  1. I worked with Celia through the latter part of the 70s and was genuinely shocked just know via Google to your blog to find she has passed. I regret not keeping in touch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! If I like it, I'll add it on. Cheers J